Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hold On For God's Best

Life can be a little bit shopping for an antique oak table. Let me explain...

About a month ago, Becky and I did a road trip out to the Midwest. We traveled with money in our pockets hoping to find an antique oak dining room table- a table we'd been envisioning for the Bryce Mountain house. After foraging through a dozen or so shops from Ohio to Minnesota, we struck gold. The shop where we ended our search was in a lazy river town appropriately named 'Stillwater'.

Entered the house of timeless treasures, we immediately came upon a beautiful oak table. I thought we'd end up ferrying the piece back to Ol' Virginia until we decided we'd move further into the bowels of the old building. Up on the third floor, back in the corner, we discover that the musty old place had a half dozen more tables- some were in much better condition than the first table we saw and most were more to our liking.

An experience like this is a good reminder for me. Sometimes I settle too soon- stopping short on my search for true treasure. Sometimes I envision a thing that will satisfy but it is less than what I might otherwise have if only I knew what was really out there. And finally, the best things of the greatest value have been out there waiting for us- for a long time.

No comments: