Saturday, April 17, 2010

What Sort of Old Guy Do I Want To Be?

When I was a young man, an older pastor said to me: "Scott, don't think too highly of what you'll be able to accomplish in life. The world will likely be worse off by the time you leave this planet." 


I loved that man so I trusted him and embraced his pessimism (also becoming a Calvinist). Now, at 52 years of age (probably about the age he was when he shared his counsel), I'm no longer certain the pastor gave such good advice. I agree, we ought not to 'think too highly of ourselves' (even Paul says that). Still, we ought to at least be trying to change the world (as well as enjoying the earthly life we've been given). Additionally, I no longer agree that the world is worse off today than it was when I was a younger man. I'd say it is just different (and that's okay). 


Now, I am the old guy (and not quite as Calvinistic as I once was). What sort of old guy am I? I know what I'd like to be- the sort of old guy that inspires youth to embrace the future with hope and work passionately to bring loving changes


To all my younger friends: "Go ahead: embrace the future with hope; make a loving mark wherever you can; and, enjoy the difference that's coming tomorrow. It won't be any better, won't be an worse- just different."

No comments: