Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cold to the Bone

No matter what I did, I just couldnot get rid of the strange chill had descended into my body. Nothing was working to draw the coldness out of my bones- not closing the windows; not cranking up the thermostat; not even crawling under blankets. That is, until drew a tub of piping hot water and sank my frozen carcus into its deep, overwhelming heat. 


The process is called "heat exchange." When there's cold conditions residing inside a thing, overwhelming heat applied from the outside is sometimes able to penetrate its exterior to exchange its heat for cold.


Sometimes a chill resides in our heart and nothing will draw it out except overwhelming heat. We need a "heat exchange."


It is actually a work of God's grace when I sense that a chill resides within me. This is God's way of telling me that something is wrong on the inside and that He wants me to move toward His source of heat.


What are the heat sources God most uses to thaw out a frozen heart?

In my thinking, this is essentially the work of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is God's Heat Exchanger. In most cases, the Spirit's presence must be invited and then received. It's like actively drawing a piping hot tub of water and then sinking deep down into it. To get all the coldness out, one must linger in the Spirit's presence.



One of the first signs that I've become inhabited by a frozen heart is when I see a lack of love and grace flowing out of my life. Unfortunately, others may see this before I do. Love and grace working in us also works on us, and... soon begins to work out of us.


Another sign that my heart lacks heat is when I no longer cherish or take time to meditate on the Word of God. Little by little, God's Word is able to melt the icy human heart. Cold hearts tend to turn a cold shoulder to God's voice. Once again, we must actively draw a piping hot tub of water and linger in God's Word.


So how's your heart today? Need a heat exchange? Take action and move toward a source of overwhelming heat.

No comments: