Thursday, September 10, 2009

Falling Asleep

Sleep has always been an interest to me. As a child, I'd awaken in the morning and try to recall the last seconds before fading away. I could never bring back those last few moments to find the line between consciousness and slumber. What's so strange about sleep is that you don't really know when you're sleeping until you're finally awake.


This is also true about spiritual slumber. You know when you're spirit is sharply attuned, conscious of God's presence, and filled with the wonder of life and grace, but you can easily go on dreaming all the while thinking you're awake.


Sometimes we sleep so deeply that we need someone else's help to wake us up. My daughter often sleeps through her alarm until I finally shuffle down the hall and call her name. God's Spirit has lovingly done that for me many a time.


The Apostle Paul says, "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine upon you."

No comments: